Thursday, January 18, 2007

SORROWFUL MYSTERIES

18 “If you find that the world hates you, know it
has hated me before you.
19 If you belonged to the world,
it would love you as its own;
the reason it hates you
is that you do not belong to the world.
But I chose you out of the world.
20 Remember what I told you:
no slave is greater than his master.
They will harry you
as they harried me.
They will respect your words
As much as they respected mine.
21 All this they will do to you because of my name,
for they know nothing of him who sent me.

(JOHN 15)


The Agony in the Garden

53 There upon Jesus said to them:
“Let me solemnly assure you,
if you do not eat the flesh of the Son of Man
and drink his blood,
you have no life in you.
54 He who feeds on my flesh
and drinks my blood
has life eternal
and I will raise him up on the last day.
55 For my flesh is real food
and my blood real drink.
56 The man who feeds on my flesh
and drinks my blood
remains in me, and I in him.

(JOHN 6)


41 He withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, then
went down on his knees and prayed in these words:
42 “Father, if it is your will, take this cup from me; yet
not my will but yours be done.”
43 An angel then appeared to him from heaven to
strengthen him.
44 In his anguish he prayed with all the greater intensity,
and his sweat became like drops of blood falling to the
ground.
45 Then he rose from prayer and came to his disciples,
only to find them asleep, exhausted with grief.
46 He said to them,”Why are you sleeping? Wake up, and
pray that you may not be subjected to the trial.”

(LUKE 22)


The Scourging At The Pillar

28 “Do not fear those who deprive the body of life
but cannot destroy the soul. Rather, fear him who
can destroy both body and soul in Gehenna.
29 Are not two sparrows sold for next to nothing? Yet
not a single sparrow falls to the ground without your
Father’s consent.
30 As for you, every hair of your head has been counted;
31 so do not be afraid of anything. You are worth more
than an entire flock of sparrows.
32 Whoever acknowledges me before men I will
acknowledge before my Father in heaven.
33 Whoever disowns me before men I will disown
before my Father in heaven.

(MATTHEW 10)

15 So Pilate, who wished to satisfy the crowd, released
Barabbas to them; and after he had had Jesus
scourged, he handed him over to be crucified.

(MARK 15)


The Crowning With Thorns

27 The procurator’s soldiers took Jesus inside the
praetorium and collected the whole cohort around him.
28 They stripped off his clothes and wrapped him in
a scarlet military cloak.
29 Weaving a crown out of thorns they fixed it on his
head, and stuck a reed in his right hand. Then they
began to mock him by dropping to their knees before him,
saying,”All hail, king of the Jews!”
30 They also spat at him. Afterward they took hold of
the reed and kept striking him on the head.
31 Finally, when they had finished making a fool of him,
they stripped him of the cloak, dressed him in his own
clothes, and led him off to crucifixion.

(MATTHEW 27)
Carrying of the Cross

34 He summoned the crowd with his disciples and said
to them:”If a man wishes to come after me, he must
deny his very self, take up his cross, and follow in my steps.
35 Whoever would preserve his life will lose it, but
whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel’s
will preserve it.
36 What profit does a man show who gains the whole
world and destroys himself in the process?

(MARK 8)

26 As they led him away, they laid hold of one Simon
the Cyrenean who was coming in from the fields. They
put a cross beam on Simon’s shoulder for him to
carry along behind Jesus.
27 A great crowd of people followed him, including
women who beat their breast and lamented over
him.
28 Jesus turned to them and said:”Daughters of
Jerusalem, do not weep for me. Weep for yourselves
and for your children.
29 The days are coming when they will say,’Happy
are the sterile, the wombs that never bore and
the breasts that never nursed.’
30 Then they will begin saying to the mountains,’Fall
on us’ and to the hills,’Cover us.’
31 If they do these things in the green wood, what
will happen in the dry?”

(LUKE 23)


The Crucifixion

18 There they crucified him, and two others with him:
one on either side, Jesus in the middle.
19 Pilate had an inscription placed on the cross which read,
JESUS THE NAZOREAN
THE KING OF THE JEWS
25 Near the cross of Jesus there stood his mother, his
mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary
Magdalene.
26 Seeing his mother there with the disciple whom he
loved, Jesus said to his mother,”Woman, there is your
son.”
27 In turn he said to the disciple,”There is your
mother.” From that hour onward, the disciple took
her into his care.

(JOHN 19)

2 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me,
far from my prayer, from the words of my cry?
3 O my God, I cry out by day, and you answer not;
by night, and there is no relief for me.
4 Yet you are enthroned in the holy place,
O glory of Israel!
5 In you our fathers trusted;
they trusted, and you delivered them.
6 To you they cried, and they escaped;
in you they trusted, and they were not put to shame.
7 But I am a worm, not a man;
the scorn of men, despised by the people.
8 All who see me scoff at me;
they mock me with parted lips, they wag their heads:
9 “He relied on the Lord; let him deliver him,
let him rescue him, if he loves him.”
10 You have been my guide since I was first formed,
my security at my mother’s breast.
11 To you I was committed at birth,
From my mother’s womb you are my God.
12 Be not far from me, for I am in distress;
be near, for I have no one to help me.
13 Many bullocks surround me;
the strong bulls of Bashan encircle me.
14 They open their mouths against me
like ravening and roaring lions.
15 I am like water poured out;
all my bones are racked.
My heart has become like wax
Melting away within my bosom.
16 My throat is dried up like baked clay,
my tongue cleaves to my jaws;
to the dust of death you have brought me down.
17 Indeed, many dogs surround me,
a pack of evildoers closes in upon me;
They have pierced my hands and my feet;
18 I can count all my bones.
They look on and gloat over me;
19 they divide my garments amoung them,
and for my vesture they cast lots.

(PSALM 22)

No comments: